Caregiver (Part-time/On Call $8.50/hr)
Aurora House is seeking an individual who is compassionate, caring, and has a heart to work with those individuals that are approaching end of life to join our team. We have a part time/on call position available for individuals that are self motivated, team oriented, and dedicated. Aurora House Caregivers provide around the clock palliative care to individuals that are terminally ill. If you are interested in learning more, please submit your resume for review.
Summary of Position:
Provide all aspects of care of the residents, toileting, giving medications, food preparation and feeding, and housekeeping. Spends time with the residents tending to their emotional and spiritual needs. Offers hospitality to the family and friends of the residents.
• Nursing skills or the willingness to learn them. Certification as a Nursing Assistant preferred
• Sense of responsibility, accountability, maturity, stability, creativity, courteousness
• English communication skills, verbal and written, Spanish helpful, not essential
• Ability to relate to many persons and cultures, residents, families, and coworkers
• Love and compassion for the sick, sensitivity to a variety of spiritual beliefs
• Able to do light cooking
• Physical strength to work long hours
• Must be willing to be on call to be defined as “non-work time, during which members of staff are required to be available to job related duties out of hours.”
• Ability to move and lift patients
Direct Resident Care
• Keeping the residents clean and comfortable
• Shave, give mouth care and personal grooming as needed
• Assist resident with toileting
• Give medication as prescribed, oral, suppositories, patches (no sharps) as prescribed
• Turn the residents in bed as needed, Must be able to lift, push, pull and move a minimum of 50 lbs and reposition patients up to 250 lbs.
• Serve food, help the residents eat if necessary
• Perform other duties as needed for resident comfort and care: i.e. suctioning, hanging catheter bags, changing bandages, giving respiratory treatments, giving food through gastric tubes
• Maintain records of medication, resident care and activities
• Clean and disinfect resident rooms routinely - floors, furniture, windows, Remove all personal belongings, and patient care supplies after resident leaves.
• Report significant changes in patient condition to family, hospice staff and administrative personnel
• Organize work plans daily with fellow staff members and volunteers
• Give reports to next shift
• Maintain resident areas free of clutter
• Spend time with the residents, learn their needs and provide comfort.
• Knows and implements Aurora House Policies and Procedures
Kitchen & Household Duties
• Prepare food as needed
• Wash dishes and clean kitchen
• Store food, patient care and household supplies
• Wash, dry, fold and store clothes and linens
• Sweep and mop the floors, vacuum carpets
• Clean furniture
• Clean and disinfect bathrooms
Must be willing to do other related duties or tasks needed for the care of residents, functioning of the household or assigned by administrative/supervisory personnel.
The above is not intended to be inclusive, complete list of all the tasks that the employee may be called upon to do.